The buyer procures materials or other goods and/or coordinates activities involved with purchasing products and services, such as raw materials, equipment, tools, parts and supplies in relation to production schedules; handles procurement functions from initial RFQ submittal to vendors including issuing of POs and PO reconciling – all with an emphasis on providing accurate delivery schedules; and monitoring the production plan to project completion date.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review purchase requisitions for completeness and budget, evaluate appropriate method of procurement and determine specification requirements and vendor pool.
- Secure and compare information regarding source of supply, price, quality, availability, terms and conditions, and related information for varied materials supplies, services and equipment, researching as appropriate.
- Issue purchase orders to procure designated type of commodities and equipment; based on company policy, determines the necessity for a formal request for quote or proposal; and prepare revisions to purchase orders when requirements change.
- Assist in preparation of formal requests for quote or proposal, review specifications and evaluate bids.
- Expedite vendors, as required, to obtain up-to-date delivery information, by telephone and/or email to ensure delivery dates will be maintained and advise of anticipated delays early enough for effective management decisions in collaboration with project, proposal and engineering teams.
- Participate in implementing sourcing strategies to support company objectives, providing a competitive advantage in areas of materials, supplies and services.
- Determine method of procurement, such as direct purchase or bid, then prepare purchase orders or bid requests, review bid proposals and negotiate contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
- Prepare documents, evaluate proposals, negotiate and in some cases, select bidders.
- Participate in selection processes and prepare summaries when necessary.
- Where designated, responsible for the effective management of the strategic direction associated with suppliers.
- Establish and maintain supplier database and maintain good working relations with suppliers.
- Maintain procurement records, such as items or services purchased, costs, delivery, product quality or performance and inventories.
- Discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective action.
- Develop scorecards and review with suppliers as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.